The geriatric program is integral to the SIU Center for Family Medicine. This program aims to optimize the health of older adults, primarily in central and southern Illinois, through excellent patient care, education, service to the community and research.
- Providing quality health care for older adults.
- Providing education and support for caregivers and families.
- Educating and training physicians and healthcare professionals in the care of older adults
- Conducting research on aging
To provide quality health care and competent healthcare professionals for the service of older adults The SIU Center for Family Medicine Geriatric Program is a community-based center developed on the following principles:
- Promotion of healthy aging
- Maintenance of the dignity and independence of older adults
- Utilization of interdisciplinary teams of health care providers specializing in the care of older adults
- Development of future health care providers with the expertise necessary to treat older patients with skill, sensitivity, and respect
We specialize in the unique care needs of individuals age 60+ and in treating conditions that commonly occur with aging. We focus on the physical, psychological, and social needs, as well as treatments of older adults. As our bodies age, our health care needs change. We use an interdisciplinary team approach to meet the complex needs of older adults. Our geriatric care team includes specially trained doctors and nurses, social workers, behavioral health, case managers, and dieticians providing excellent care for older adults. The care team is compassionately committed to assisting patients, family members and caregivers to optimize function, maintain health and ensure the highest quality of life. We develop care plans with tailored interventions to meet each individual’s situation to keep individuals as healthy, active, and independent as possible in the years ahead.
We are committed to our patients and continue to follow them as they transition through various levels of care. We provide services in the office, patient homes, hospitals, rehabilitation units, assisted living facilities, memory care facilities, long-term care facilities, as well as via telehealth visits.
We offer a broad range of comprehensive services at our clinic including but not limited to:
- Primary care
- Complex medical management
- Annual Medicare Wellness Visits
- Memory & Cognitive evaluations
- Walking/gait disorders
- Imbalance and falls
- Frailty Assessments
- Medication management
- Wound Care
- Care of the homebound patient
- Advance Care Planning
- Palliative Care
- Case Management