5 hot tips for summer fitness
With longer days and warmer temperatures, the summer months are perfect for prioritizing your well-being by making time for some fresh-air fitness. Exercising outdoors benefits your health by giving you a boost of Vitamin D while working up a sweat in the sun. Whether it’s riding your bike, swimming, playing a sport or hitting the gym, staying active during the summer can help you get in shape while having fun.
Here are five ways you can enhance your summer fitness routine:
1. Get outside. Summertime gives you the perfect opportunity to be active outdoors. Go for a swim to fit in a low-impact, full-body workout, or make time to bond on a bike ride with family. Maybe explore outside while on a walk or a hike. Whichever activity you choose, do it outdoors to boost your mental health through natural light therapy and breaking a sweat.
2. Get creative. If you're bored with your normal routine, it might be time to do something different. Get adventurous and try something new like joining a sand volleyball team or kayaking on the lake. Any opportunity to incorporate fun activities into your fresh-air fitness routine will help you find fulfillment while exercising.
3. Get social. Exercising with someone or a group can help you stay motivated and make working out fun. Find a friend to be your accountability partner or sign up for an outdoor yoga class. Working out with others will help you stay on track while providing support and encouragement.
4. Set goals. Making exercise a part of your daily routine and having fitness goals is a good way to keep you motivated and committed. Block out time to walk a couple of miles every day or start working towards running a 5k. Goal-setting will round out your routine and help to keep you on the right track.
5. Take breaks and stay hydrated. Your body needs time to recover and recharge, especially when you're enjoying your workouts in the hot summer sun. Be mindful of working out in the heat by taking breaks often and drinking lots of water. It's important to stay hydrated and take breaks when necessary so you can get the most out of your workout.
Staying active during the summer doesn’t have to be a chore. With these tips, you can make exercising fun and enjoyable. Get outside, get creative and set goals for yourself, whether you do it alone or with friends. You'll also want to wear sunscreen and use bug spray for added protection while outdoors. With a little effort, you can make the most of the summer and get fit in the process.