Virtual care through telehealth
Telehealth is the use of video, or sometimes phone conversations, to extend care when you and the provider aren’t in the same place at the same time.
Connecting care to patients
SIU Medicine has expanded its telehealth program to provide care for patients in the convenience of your own home. SIU Medicine's providers are available to treat patients virtually for a variety of illnesses and issues.
If you are interested in scheduling a virtual visit with an SIU Medicine provider:
Schedule a virtual visit with your existing SIU Medicine provider today, and talk with your provider in the safety of your home. To request a virtual visit, call 217-545-8000 or 800-342-5748, or request one online.
Watch: What is Telehealth?
Before your appointment
Scheduled for a virtual visit? Set up your home technology for a successful visit and learn what to expect:
- Sound: Check that there are no issues that could affect your sound, like fans, open windows or excess wind, or your ability to hear your provider.
- Privacy: Be sure you are in a private quiet space at home, where others can’t hear the conversation between you and your provider. This will also allow for your provider to hear you clearly.
It is very important that you complete these steps before the scheduled date and time of your appointment in case you experience any technical difficulties. SIU Medicine currently uses a platform called WebEx to conduct video chats with your provider. These steps will help you get set up on this system.
If you will be attending your appointment from a cell phone:
(Note: Your cell phone must have a working camera)
Using your cell phone:
- Go to the Google Play Store or Apple Store.
- Search for Cisco WebEx Meetings app.
- Select it and install it.
- After the installation is complete, open the app.
- If asked, accept the Terms of Service, Privacy Statement, and other possible permissions.
- You can close the app at this point.
Separately, you should receive either an email invite in your email inbox (note: if you hit “accept” on the appointment date and time in the email, the email will disappear and the information will show up on your calendar) or a letter from SIU with your meeting number and password. You will need the meeting number and password to enter the meeting with your provider on the day of your appointment.
If you will be attending your appointment from a computer:
(Note: Your computer must have a working camera and microphone)
- Visit siumed.webex.com
- If a screen that states “Join a Meeting” appears, then your computer does not need anything else before the scheduled day of the appointment.
- Download the WebEx software to your computer if you do not already have it.
- You can complete a test Webex appointment by visiting webex.com/test-meeting.html. This will help you identify connection issues before your appointment.
If you do not receive an email with detailed WebEx information or a letter within 2 days of your appointment, please call 217-545-8000 and ask for your provider’s office.