Basic Science Research Projects
1. Heterotopic Ossification: Further Defining Cells of Origin
The goal of the project is to better understand the signaling pathways involved in heterotopic ossification formation and how stem cells contribute to this abnormal bone formation.
2. Evaluation of Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment Effects on Peripheral Nerve Regeneration
The goal of this project is to improve outcomes after nerve injuries using hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
3. Stem Cell Based Vascularized Bone and Cartilage constructs
The goal of the project is to create a stem cell based vascularized bone and cartilage construct to regenerate and repair bone and cartilage deficiencies.
4. Promoting Burn Wound Healing With Cold Plasma
The goal of this project is to effectively treat burn wounds with cold plasma technology.
5. Development of a Novel TRAIL Flap for Breast Cancer Treatment
The goal of this project is to develop a treatment to safely eradicate human breast cancer using a combination of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis inducing ligand (TRAIL) gene therapy with a traditional autologous flap technique similar to what is currently used in breast reconstructive surgery.
6. Competency-Based Microsurgical Education Utilizing Timely Targeted Feedback
The goal of this project is to create effective video education for microsurgery and develop competency-based microsurgical education with timely targeted feedback that can be utilized in surgical programs across the country.
7. LGR+ Stem Cells Augment Osteogenesis on Bone Defect Scaffolds
The goal of this project is to develop a novel stem cell system utilizing the host’s own stem cells for bone regeneration within fracture defects.